Sunday, September 29, 2013

The Dignity of Man

By Edison D Bynoe

Text: Hebrews 2:5 - 9; c.f. Psalm 8:3 - 8
Introduction
Our text reveals that everything has been put in subjection to Jesus. He was made a little lower than the angels, but He is now crowned with glory and honor because of His death (dying in mankind's place to pay the penalty for their sin). He will rule over all things: the fullness of this reign is future; He has begun to rule, but there are still areas of resistance. Eventually all antagonistic forces will be made subject to His authority. One of the intents of the author in this passage is to show the superiority of Jesus to angels. His humanity made Him a little less than the angels because of the limitations of the body. However, His exaltation puts Him at a position higher than the angels.
In this passage, Jesus is representative of mankind. Psalm 8:3 - 8 (which is the background for these verses) makes that clear: man has been crowned with glory and honor because he has been made ruler over creation. Man is created in the image of God (Genesis 1:26 - 28). We are created with the ability to make choices (that is we have been given free will). We are created with the ability to communicate with God and each other. Man is the only biological creature that has a spirit; it is through our spirit that we connect with God. We are not created to be God or to become a god, but we are created to be like God.
Problems that develop when we have a low view of ourselves
God has given us dignity; we are His special creation. Unfortunately, many people have a low view of themselves and this leads to various problems. One such problem is suicide. Recently (as at the time of writing), five persons have committed suicide in Barbados in the past five weeks, the most recent of which was a middle-aged man who hung himself. People kill themselves for various reasons, some of which are depression, psychosis (mental illness), impulse (rash decision to end it all) and demonic influence. They also kill themselves because they no longer see their lives as valuable, as worth living. The feeling is that the world will be better without me. People who recognize their worth in Christ and stay in that mental position will never kill themselves. Whenever Christians reach that point of desperation, they have forgotten who they are in Christ; fear and depression displace faith.
Another problem that results when people have a low view of themselves is sexual immorality. People who don't value themselves, don't value their bodies either. Some individuals are victims of rape or abuse, and they feel that they have no worth. In some cases, they have sex with the first person that expresses any kind of affection to them. In other cases, they become promiscuous. Sometimes, they allow themselves to be abused even though they may have the power to stop the abuse. To Christians, I want you to know that you're worth it because God made you valuable. Don't compromise your integrity; the risks are too great. There are the spiritual risks of moving away from God. There are emotional risks of doing further psychological damage to yourself and perhaps to others that are genuinely concerned about you. There are physical risks of sexually transmitted diseases and unwanted pregnancies.
When we have a low view of ourselves, we doubt God and His promises. People who have a low view of themselves have a hard time seeing God as their loving, heavenly Father: if we're unimportant then why should God love us; they project their view of themselves on to God. Theologically and intellectually, we may recognize God's promises as true, but we lack the faith to appropriate them in our lives. This affects our worship and our ability to live to please God. There is a feeling that I can't get close to God. Others can get close; God has His favorites, but I'm not one of them.
People who have a low view of themselves often have a wounded spirit. A wounded spirit can be a cause of a low view of self or it can be the effect of a low view. A wounded spirit develops as a reaction to past hurt and negative experiences. These could include insults, various forms of abuse, broken relationships, disappointments (academic failure, loss of job, being overlooked for promotion). Those hurts and experiences were never really processed and left at the foot of the cross. In other words, persons did not find healing for their hurt through means like counseling, talking to a friend or just thinking through the problem to come to a resolution; nor did they spend time praying about the problems, allowing God to bring emotional healing.
Persons who are wounded have strong feelings of rejection. They have a distorted view of reality - people are always against me; people are always looking at me and judging me. They have negative feelings of anger, jealousy, unforgiveness and bitterness. These negative emotions cause them to lash out at others, even at those that genuinely love and care about them. Persons who are wounded may withdraw from others or engage in anti-social behavior (insulting, bullying, constant talking, or not talking much). Persons who are wounded are often suspicious, skeptical and sarcastic. Wounded persons are often fearful - afraid of losing people and afraid of new situations.
Persons who have a low view of themselves suffer with insecurity. Insecurity can manifest itself in various ways and have different impacts. One of these is pride: insecure people overcompensate; they may act like "big shots." They may boast of what they can do or what they have. Insecure people are afflicted with self-doubt. They often question their ability to get things done. At work, they might be afraid to try new things or take risks. They dislike change. Self-doubt affects people's performance at school and on their job. It can lead to doubting God because we see God as we see ourselves.
Insecurity also leads to problems in relationships and marriage. One such problem is smothering. Insecure people are needy people who look to the other person to meet all of their emotional needs. They also fail to give the other person personal space. Another problem is accusation characterized by lack of trust of the other person and the feeling that he or she is unfaithful. Insecure persons often practice control and manipulation: they try to dictate how others should live and they make the other person feel guilty through various actions and statements like you don't really show me that you love me; you used to do this or that. They also are guilty of fathering/mothering the other person, treating the person like a little child. Insecure persons lack a strong sense of identity. They have an overpowering need to be accepted by others. They are overly concerned about what people think about them and they readily live to please people.
God's view of us
Instead of having a low view of ourselves, we need to see ourselves as God sees us. We're valuable because God redeemed us. He paid a significant price for us - the blood of Jesus Christ. That alone tells us that we are valuable. Under the old covenant, the blood of animals was shed to cover sin, but it was inefficacious because human beings are worth far more than animals. Only the precious blood of the Son of God, shed as a human being, as a brother of mankind, could fully atone for sin. Even if as sinners we felt we had no value, as saints we are valuable. It was only after God created the world and fully prepared it that He placed man in it. He ensured that man had everything that he needed. Man was told that he was free to eat from any tree in the Garden of Eden. God's provision shows His love for us.
We are valuable because God protects and delivers us. You do not protect something unless you are convinced of its worth. We put certain possessions in a secure place because of their value. Further, God gave man authority to rule over creation. We are God's delegated authorities in the world. Jesus was given the authority to sit on the throne of David. Psalm 8, in spite of the fall of man, clearly demonstrates that man was given dominion over the earth, a dominion that was restored through Jesus Christ and that will fully be realized when Jesus establishes His kingdom in the Millennium. Also, God has promised us His abiding presence. He is with us through the good and bad times. His Word declares that even if our father and mother forsake us, He will never leave us.
We are sons and daughters of God. We are not simply the servants of God or the friends of God. Through our adoption, we are the children of God, heirs of the kingdom. Further, we are a royal priesthood, a holy nation. We are called out, specially chosen by God. We are a chosen generation, a people belonging to God. We are the apple of God's eyes; His eyes are constantly on us (imagine a newly-wed husband fascinated with his wife, so enamored and in love). Scripture is replete with references to the special status that we have been given.
Seeing ourselves as God sees us will cause us to carry ourselves with confidence. Persons who are secure and that know who they are will be confident. That confidence will enable them to take appropriate risks and live life. It allows them to maximize their potential and enjoy the abundant life that God has promised. Seeing ourselves as God sees us will empower us to pursue the call of God on our lives. The secure Christian embraces God's call, responds obediently to that call, accesses the power and guidance of the Holy Spirit. He sees ministry possibilities locally, regionally and internationally. She allows God to determine her boundaries recognizing that there is no limit in God.
Seeing myself as God sees me allows me to be me, to have a strong sense of identity. I know who I am. I am not somebody else. I am unique. I am in a category all by myself. I am not proud, but I rate myself with sober judgment. I am beautiful. I am strong. Having a strong sense of identity allows me to know who I am and what I am capable of. Seeing ourselves as God sees us enables us to love others, because I love myself. Whatever you feel about yourself is what you will project on others. It is an anomaly to feel that you can truly love others when you don't truly love yourself, when you look in the mirror and despise who you see. I love me because God loves me and that love allows me to love others.
Seeing ourselves as God sees us allows us to freely and enthusiastically worship. Psalm 8 begins and ends with praise. However, all the other verses deal with the dignity of man, the position of privilege that God has given man. The point is this: if God has created man to be great, then how much greater is He who created all things. How can I not help but magnify this great God? I marvel at man's ingenuity, his ability to take metals and plastic and make amazing technological devices. If man who is finite and limited can do this, how much greater is the God who out of nothing created this vast universe with all of its diversity. If I don't feel good about myself, it will hinder my worship. If I feel less than what God has called me to be then I will struggle in my praise.
Seeing myself as God sees me allows me to carry myself with dignity. I don't want to have an overinflated view of myself, but when I walk into a room, a son of God is walking in, a prince is walking in, a holy man of God is walking in, a man anointed by God is walking in. The same applies to you. The world must not define you. You are more than an employee, more than an athlete, more than a student, more than a teacher. You are a child of the kingdom, eternity runs through your spirit; you will reign with Christ; you are an ambassador of the kingdom. In light of all this, how can I not carry myself with dignity? Why should I not walk and dress with dignity?
Seeing myself as God sees me allows me to accept certain things about myself - strengths and weaknesses. The Bible challenges us to have a right view of ourselves, to rate ourselves with sober judgment. If I focus too much on my strengths I will become proud. If I focus too much on my weaknesses, I will become depressed and negative. God has given me my strengths to use for His glory. He has given me my weaknesses that I may rely on Him and on others. Some weaknesses are there so that I can work on them and become stronger, so that my character can develop. The important thing is that I accept me while recognizing those areas in which God will have me to improve.

No comments:

Post a Comment